Pages

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry shortcake is something I have been wanting to make for a long time. Last weekend we went to a family dinner so I thought it would be a good opportunity to try it out while strawberries are still in season.

Unfortunately the first attempt at making these resulted in the smoke alarm going off, the animals being locked in a room so we could open the doors to air out the place and Andrew sitting on the patio with a beer because "the house smells like smoke". In his defense, this was after he used a towel to clear the air by the detector for a good 5 minutes. But believe me when I say this, THIS WAS NOT MY FAULT! My oven and I have a history. It has been "fixed" twice before for this exact problem. It likes to over heat at random times, usually when I'm baking something with lots of ingredients. Luckily, it decided to work the next morning. That being said, I have come to the conclusion that my oven is definitely female.
Round 2 was successful, which is a mixed blessing as I vowed to buy a macaroon cake if they didn't turn out. :)
My biscuits didn't puff up as much as thought but they were still yummy!  I used two biscuits for each "shortcake" instead of using one and splitting it into two.

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 tbsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 stick of cold butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream

1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Rub in the cold butter with your fingers until it resembles a course meal.

2. Add in heavy cream, stir or mix with hands until a dough forms.

3. Flour your working surface and roll out dough into a large sheet. Use the rim of a glass or cookie cutter to cut out circles. Mine were about the size of your palm and this recipe made 10 biscuits.

4. Place onto greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are slightly golden.

5. Once cooled, you can assemble your shortcakes. Best right before consumption. Mix sliced strawberries with a small amount (1 tsp for 4 cups of strawberries) of sugar and let sit for about an hour. Then alternate biscuit, strawberries and whip cream.

https://sites.google.com/site/receipesfromlifehappens/strawberry-shortcake?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1


      No comments:

      Post a Comment