Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thai Coconut Curry Explosion Soup


I couldn’t be happier that the weather is getting cooler so I can make all my favorite soup recipes again! This was actually my first time attempting this recipe but it turned out great! Every now and again I get a bad hankering for some Thai goodness, and this soup definitely hit the spot!

Andrew wasn’t thrilled when he saw the recipe as he isn’t a fan of coconut, however I assured him it wouldn’t really taste like coconut so he tried it and agreed. However, the spice was a little too intense for his liking but that was fine with me because that meant I got to eat all of the left overs myself! :)

The original recipe can be found cookbook “Chopstix” but I of course made some changes so here is my version –

  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 1 liter of chicken broth
  • 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 tsp of ginger
  • 2 tbsp of red curry paste
  • 3 tbsp of fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp of lime juice
  • Zest of one lime
  • 1 tbsp of Chinese chili sauce (more or less depending on spice level)
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced thinly
  • 1 red pepper, cut into strips
  • 10 mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • Package of rice noodles (I used brown)
  • 1 tbsp of sesame oil

1. In a large saucepan combine the coconut milk, chicken broth, lemon grass sticks, ginger, curry paste, fish sauce, chili sauce, lime zest and juice. Bring to a simmer.

2. Cook the chicken in a wok until no longer pink, add to the saucepan along with the mushrooms, and red pepper. Continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles separately. Once cooked, toss with sesame oil and set aside. (I always cooked these types of noodles separately as they tend to absorb most of the broth when cooked in the soup itself)

4. Before serving, remove the lemon grass stalks and discard. Place some of the cooked noodles in a soup bowl and pour the broth over top. Alternatively you could add all of the noodles to the soup at this point and serve out of the pot. Makes 6 servings.


https://sites.google.com/site/receipesfromlifehappens/thai-coconut-curry-explosion-soup?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1


No comments:

Post a Comment