Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Mason Jar Fruit Crisp


Perfect fall dessert in a single serving jar!

I had some left over fruit that was about to turn and some extra mason jars from my spice reorganization so I decided to make these. It was super easy and I didn’t even bake them at the time! Just put them together and popped them in the freezer until I decided it was a good night for dessert.


I’m all about make ahead and freezing things. Sometimes the week can unexpectedly get away from you so it’s nice to have some quick things on hand just in case. And they are oh so cute!

Thank goodness they are mostly fruit…I know that doesn’t make them “good for you” but let’s pretend because I pretty much ate one for dessert every night until they were gone.

I kind of just winged-it with the quantities, using how much fruit I had on hand, so you might need to tweak it a little depending on how many you plan to make. I ended up with 7 one cup mason jars.


For the filling –

  • 6 cups of fruit (I used blackberries, strawberries, and gala apples)
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • 2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon

For the crumb –

  • 11/2 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of large oats
  • 2 tbsp of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 stick of butter, cold (1/4 cup)

1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the filling until all of the fruit is evenly coated. If using apples I recommend peeling them first.

2. In another bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork or your fingers, cut in the cold butter until it is well incorporated and you have a crumb type mixture.

3. Spoon the fruit filling evenly into the jars. Top with crumb and slightly press into jars. Secure lids and freeze. OR bake jars without lids at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Top should be brown, and sides should be bubbling. If baking from frozen, follow the same directions, but increase the bake time to 30 minutes.

https://sites.google.com/site/receipesfromlifehappens/mason-jar-fruit-crisp?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1


No comments:

Post a Comment