Pages

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Holy Guacamole


If I had to choose between guac and salsa, I’m a guacamole girl all the way! I love the stuff, can’t get enough. That pretty much goes for avocados in general. I will add them to sandwiches, wraps, pasta, pretty much anything I can.

I used to struggle to find the perfect time to use avocados. They wouldn’t be ripe enough so I’d wait then go to use them and they would be overly ripe. The trick is once they are just about ripe; throw them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them. The fridge pretty much stops the ripening process all together so gives you a few extra days to get your ducks in a row to make something.

The other trick with guacamole is storing it. If for some crazy reason you don’t devour the entire bowl, it will brown within hours. I used to throw it away but someone suggested covering the gauc with about half an inch of water, then using plastic wrap over the bowl and store it in the fridge overnight. Then when you want to eat it, dump the water out, give it a good mix and enjoy. This method won’t keep for much longer then the next day but at least leftovers won’t go to waste!

  • 4 avocados, peeled, pitted, and mashed (leave slightly chunky)
  • 1 tbsp of fresh lime or lemon juice
  • ¼ cup of red onion, diced finely
  • 1 tsp of garlic salt
  • Pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment