Pages

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Blackberry Pudding Cake

This little adventure came about because I bought some blackberries that ended up being a bit tart to eat on their own. So I decided to bake something with them. The trouble is I was out of butter and it was snowing pretty good so I decided my efforts would be better spent finding a recipe that used blackberries but not butter. And this is what I came up with -


I must say this is the STRANGEST recipe I have ever made in my life. When I put it in the oven to bake I laughed to myself thinking it was crazy. I re-read the recipe about 5 times to make sure I wasn’t missing a step. So now you know. Trust in this recipe!

You actually bake this in a glassware dish. I just put in the mason jars to store for individual servings, and since they are glass you would be able to heat them up in the microwave or oven because this one is best served warm and with ice cream! ;)

  • 2 cups of fresh blackberries
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 3 tbsp of coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 cup of evaporated milk
  • 1 cup of boiling water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 tbsp of cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 12 glass baking dish.

2. Mix the blackberries with the lemon juice and line the baking dish. In a separate bowl mix together flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and evaporated milk. it should be a thick batter, spread on top of blackberries.

3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, boiling water and cornstarch. Pour this mixture over top of the batter in the dish and bake for approx 40 mins or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Serve warm. (This is where I thought it was strange, you basically have 1/2 inch of water on top of your batter, but it all somehow incorporates into this moist cinnamon, warm, berry winter cake like nothing I've ever tasted)

https://sites.google.com/site/receipesfromlifehappens/cinnamon-sugar-flake-scones?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1


No comments:

Post a Comment